A web hosting service is required to allow your website to be displayed on the internet. The hosting service provider offers all the technologies and infrastructure required for the website to be made available and seen online. This includes servers on which your website is stored and hosted. Website hosting is usually measured in terms of the storage space your website is allocated on the server and the data transfer limit allowed.
Choosing the Right Hosting Company
If you want to host a website, it is important to choose the right hosting company. There are several steps involved, including the following:
- Read reviews from real users
- Check their hosting packages and determine if they have the perfect plan for your needs
- Make sure you are getting the right amount of disk space and bandwidth
- Check the types and frequencies of backups they offer
You may think, why do I need website hosting, I can get a wix or shopify or wordpress.com website for free or small monthly fee without hosting or even other platforms including Squarespace or Showit. This is not completely true as they charge their hosting server fee within these prices and you have limited options compared to having a self-hosted website. Read my Quick guide to compare popular website platforms.
My Favourite Website Hosting Options
SiteGround Hosting was founded in 2004 that promotes itself as a high-quality hosting service provider. The plans start at $3.95 per month and there are many reasons for choosing it for hosting your site. Some of the highlights of this web host include:
- Supercacher: This is SiteGround’s proprietary technology solution that features multiple layers of caching to load your pages faster.
- Free Site Migration: The host offers free site migration services that take around 5 hours to complete.
- Free SSL Certificate: Make your website more secure and improve your SEO rankings with free SSL certificate.
Other key features include unlimited bandwidth, PHP 7 support, quality customer support, and single-click WordPress installation among others.
To me, Siteground is the best hosting choose for eCommerce website because even their Startup packages have 10 GB of Web Space which is ideal to upload lots of product images.
Downsides- I have worked with loads of clients using site ground and a lot of people say that after a year or 2 they tend to increase the hosting price allot, so keep this in mind.
2. InMotion Hosting
InMotion Hosting is among the most recommended web hosting services for business sites of different sizes. The plans start at $6.39/mo. It offers an excellent combination of high performance, quality customer service, and high reliability. It offers several Linux-based packages, making it a versatile provider. Some of the key features include:
- Linux based hosting & cPanel
- Unlimited bandwidth & disk space
- Unlimited emails
- Free SSL certificate, SSD & free domain
- Starter plan allows hosting 2 websites. Host unlimited websites on Pro Plan ($14.71/mo)
- Offers series of marketing tools
Hostinger offers a combination of quality web hosting and affordability. Plans start at just $2.15/mo. The company was founded in 2004 and has become a reputed brand in the industry. With over 29 million clients worldwide, it is a major web hosting service provider. Hostinger also offers free web hosting service under its 000WebHost brand name. Some of its main features include reliable uptime, excellent customer support, and fast loading. It claims uptime of over 99.9% and manages to keep the promise.
The main reasons for choosing Hostinger include:
- Faster Load Times: The web host has servers in the US, UK, and Asia, ensuring that pages load faster for visitors from different geographies. Its average load time is reliably fast. In fact, studies show that it is twice as fast as the industry average which is great for Larger International Ecommerce businesses.
- 100GB Bandwidth: Starter plan features 100GB of bandwidth and 10GB of storage space. All the other plans offer (starting from $3.49/mo) unlimited SSD disk space and bandwidth.
- MySQL Database: Host 1 database with the starter plan. Unlimited MySQL databases are available with other plans.
- Quality Customer Support: Not only is the customer support of high quality, the support team can be reached through live chat, support ticket, and other options.
4. Synergy (Thomas Web Designs own Hosting Server)
We have our own hosting server that allot of our clients choose to use as then they don’t need to worry about managing their website hosting. They can simply give us a text, call or email and we will handle everything for them.
- Free Site Migration: We offer free site migration services and can have this done within 48 hours.
- Free SSL Certificate: Make your website more secure and improve your SEO rankings with free SSL certificate, we actually set this up and manage it for you.
- Fast Server: This allows you to have your website running at less than 5 seconds. We have tested this time and time again by changing websites on other hosting platforms to us and their speed has reduced.
- Weekly Backup’s plus we check you run your own backup’s
- Updates: We update your plugins and themes on a monthly basis saving you from doing it, thus keeping your website secure and error free.
Our prices start at $154 per year which is great for Small businesses having a business presence or selling products though their Ecommerce store.
These are some of the most trusted web hosting brands in the industry. These companies have been providing quality services for more than a decade and have continued to meet or exceed industry standards. They are all ideal for small and large businesses that use any website platform including WordPress, Shopify, and more.
I’m Jacinta Thomas, also known as your humble wordpress web design tech whiz and online marketing consultant.
I’m a reserved yet highly motivated and adaptable digital marketing expert ready to use my online marketing knowledge to help your business be seen online and ramp up your sales. I love horses, dogs, cats, country music, chocolate and most of all helping people.
I help family focused entrepreneurs build top ranking, self-managed websites, help work through any wordpress tech issues and get set up with hosting, blogging, SEO and social media, so they can earn more money and live their dream life.
If you’re ready to get your business online, and seen on social media and all search engines then check out my blog, biz resources, jump into my free Facebook group and of course contact me at any time.