Website hosting is a service that allows your website to be displayed on the internet. The hosting service provider offers all the technologies and infrastructure that your website needs in order to be made available and seen online. These providers host your website on supercomputers called servers. Website hosting is usually measured in terms of the storage space your website is allocated and the data transfer limit allowed.
Choosing the Right Website Hosting Company
You may be thinking, why do I need website hosting, I can get a wix or shopify or wordpress.com or Squarespace or Showit website with free hosting when I pay a small monthly fee.
This is true to some extent but that small fee you are being charged to have your website usually incorporates some sort of hosting server fee. And these platforms also have limited features and options compared to having a self-hosted website. For more information head to our Quick guide to compare popular website platforms.
There are many hosting companies to choose from, so choosing the right company for you is an important step when setting up your website.
Make sure when doing your research you include the following;
- Read reviews from real users
- Check their hosting packages and determine if they have the perfect plan for your needs
- Make sure you are getting the right amount of disk space and bandwidth
- Check the types and frequencies of backups they offer
- Do they include a business email address as part of the hosting or do you have to pay for this separately?
- Do you have easy Cpanel or harder to use FTP access
- Is WordPress Supported especially if your website is created using wordpress.
My Favourite Website Hosting Options
- Synergy (Thomas Web Designs own Hosting Server)
We have our own hosting server that a lot of our clients choose to use as then they don’t need to worry about managing their website hosting themself. They can simply give us a text, call or email and we will handle everything for them.
- Free Site Migration: We offer free site migration services and can have this done within 72 hours.
- Free SSL Certificate: Make your website more secure and improve your SEO rankings with free SSL certificate, we actually set this up and manage it for you.
- Fast Server: This allows you to have your website running at less than 5 seconds. We have tested this time and time again by changing websites on other hosting platforms to us and their speed has only got faster.
- Weekly Backup’s: we also offer free restores if you back a boo boo and need your website restored back.
- Updates: We update your plugins and themes on a monthly basis saving you from doing it, thus keeping your website secure and error free.
Our prices start at $199 per year for our managed hosting services which is great for Small businesses having a business presence or selling products through their Ecommerce store.
SiteGround Hosting was founded in 2004 that promotes itself as a high-quality hosting service provider. The plans start at $6.99 per month (note this is a special price and regular is approx $19.90 per month) and there are many reasons for choosing it for hosting your site. Some of the highlights of this web host include:
- Supercacher: This is SiteGround’s proprietary technology solution that features multiple layers of caching to load your pages faster.
- Free Site Migration: The host offers free site migration services that take around 5 hours to complete.
- Free SSL Certificate: Make your website more secure and improve your SEO rankings with free SSL certificate.
Other key features include unlimited bandwidth, the latest PHP support, quality customer support, and single-click WordPress installation among others.
To me, Siteground is the best hosting choice for eCommerce websites because even their Startup packages have 10 GB of Web Space which is ideal to upload lots of product images.
Downside – I have worked with loads of clients using site ground and a lot of people say that after a year or 2 they tend to increase the hosting price, so keep this in mind.
3. InMotion Hosting
InMotion Hosting is among the most recommended web hosting services for business sites of different sizes. The plans start at $6.99/mo (US$) then increases to $9.99/mo (US$). It offers an excellent combination of high performance, quality customer service, and high reliability. It offers several Linux-based packages, making it a versatile provider. Some of the key features include:
- Linux based hosting & cPanel
- Unlimited bandwidth & disk space
- Unlimited emails
- Free SSL certificate, SSD & free domain
- Starter plan allows hosting 2 websites. Host unlimited websites on Pro Plan ($14.71/mo)
- Offers series of marketing tools
Hostinger offers a combination of quality web hosting and affordability. Plans start at just $3.99/mo (US$), note this then goes up to $8.99/mo (US$). The company was founded in 2004 and has become a reputed brand in the industry. With over 29 million clients worldwide, it is a major web hosting service provider. Hostinger also offers free web hosting service under its 000WebHost brand name. Some of its main features include reliable uptime, excellent customer support, and fast loading. It claims uptime of over 99.9% and manages to keep the promise.
The main reasons for choosing Hostinger include:
- Faster Load Times: The web host has servers in the US, UK, and Asia, ensuring that pages load faster for visitors from different geographies. Its average load time is reliably fast. In fact, studies show that it is twice as fast as the industry average which is great for Larger International Ecommerce businesses.
- 100GB Bandwidth: Starter plan features 100GB of bandwidth and 10GB of storage space. All the other plans offer (starting from $3.49/mo) unlimited SSD disk space and bandwidth.
- MySQL Database: Host 1 database with the starter plan. Unlimited MySQL databases are available with other plans.
- Quality Customer Support: Not only is the customer support of high quality, the support team can be reached through live chat, support ticket, and other options.
There are a lot of options out there for web hosting. These are some of the most trusted web hosting brands in the industry. These companies have been providing quality services for more than a decade and have continued to meet or exceed industry standards. They are all ideal for small and large businesses that use any website platform including WordPress, Joomla, and more.
Please make sure you do your research though as what looks like a great deal at a low price for $1.99 a month may not have all the components you require to keep your website up and running. These low price deals often have hidden catches.
If you would like to find out more about the managed website hosting that we offer at Thomas Web Designs please feel free to reach out to me here. Check out our Website Hosting Tutorial blog with step-by-step instructions.
I’m Jacinta Thomas, also known as your humble wordpress web design tech whiz and online marketing consultant.
I’m a reserved yet highly motivated and adaptable digital marketing expert ready to use my online marketing knowledge to help your business be seen online and ramp up your sales. I love horses, dogs, cats, country music, chocolate and most of all helping people.
I help family focused entrepreneurs build top ranking, self-managed websites, help work through any wordpress tech issues and get set up with hosting, blogging, SEO and social media, so they can earn more money and live their dream life.
If you’re ready to get your business online, and seen on social media and all search engines then check out my blog, biz resources, jump into my free Facebook group and of course contact me at any time.